LANDMARKS & SITES
Mines View Park
Camp John Hay
Phil Military Academy
Easter Weaving Room
Maryknoll Eco. Sanctuary
Good Shepherd Convent
Nearby Sites & Landmarks
The rose-colored Baguio Catholic Cathedral, located on top of a hill in the heart of the city, is one of the more familiar and most visited landmarks of Baguio. This beautiful structure has twin spires and is one of the most photographed buildings in the city. From Session Road it is accessible by pedestrians who ascend a long concrete stairway of more than a hundred steps. Visitors and churchgoers who would rather avoid the difficult climb drive vehicles through an access road which passes behind the nearby post office building.
The construction of the cathedral by phases was begun on a hill which was originally referred to as "Kampo" by the native Ibalois. It was later called Mount Mary by a Belgian Catholic Mission headed by Fr. Carlu, CICM, who was then the parish priest. The cathedral was finally consecrated in 1936 and dedicated to Our Lady of Atonement. During World War II it became an evacuation center and withstood the Japanese carpet bombing of the city in 1945, thereby saving thousands of lives.
The Baguio Cathedral is the biggest catholic church in Baguio and is the center of religious activities such as during the Holy Week when thousands of devotees from Metro Manila and the provinces come up to the city. During Sundays and other special holidays of the catholic church, you will find vendors along the stairway and also at the church's open patio selling flowers, balloons, newspapers, sweepstake tickets, candles, rosary beads, and other religious articles. Visitors desiring to visit Baguio on a tour should avoid coming up to the city during this religious week. Not only is the city crowded with people, it is difficult to find rooms in hotels and inns and the prices of native handicraft, souvenirs, vegetables, flowers, food, and other commodities & services are rather expensive.
( Click on any of the "thumbnail images" below to view the photograph in a larger size format. )
The view deck at the cathedral is a favorite among visitors since it provides a panoramic view of the downtown commercial area, Burnham park, city hall, and Camp Allen. The cathedral has undergone extensive repairs and renovation and was re-opened to the public last November 25, 1990 during the celebration of "Christ The King."
[ HOME PAGE ] [ LANDMARKS/SCENIC SITES PAGE ]